Rick Alexander is the host of Lionheart Radio. He is also an active duty member of the United States Navy, founder and co-owner of LuaVíve, and if you have listened to any Lionheart Radio episodes, is an avid Ultramarathon runner. Rick has competed in 12 Ultramarathons, 10 in the last year, including the Tahoe 200. In addition, Rick has made knowing all the ins-and-outs of Ultramarathons his mission. He has spent countless hours researching and speaking with other Ultra competitors to gain further insight on the sport. Finally, Rick is still somewhat of a novice in the Ultramarathon world, therefore his insight is prime for those who are interested in competing in your first Ultramarathon.
Featuring: Rick Alexander
Co-host, Jenny Blake, interviews host Rick Alexander to bring you our second “how to” episode! Lionheart Radio strives to bring our listeners relevant content surrounding training, nutrition, adventures and thought leaders throughout the world, and if you are anything like us, you get empowered by hearing these episodes. Therefore, we want to also assist you in your journey in accomplishing your own goals, which is why we are bring you the “how-to” series. So for any of you interested in embarking upon your first Ultramarathon, this episode is for you! Some of the highlights include:
- Picking your first Ultramarathon and the considerations to take into account;
- How long you should train before embarking on your first Ultramarathon;
- Training regimen leading up to the race, including runs, cross-training and strength training;
- Pre-event considerations, such as what food to pack, shoes to buy, and even the type of baby wipes to purchase;
- The dos and don’ts of nutrition during the race;
- Picking your crew and pacers;
- Meditation practices during the race;
- Why attaching a cause to your race is a mutually beneficial practice; and
- Reflections post event.